18 Jul Time Poor & Dirt Cheap Recipes – Edition 2
Is everyone at your workplace coughing and spluttering, carrying around the winter sniffles? This month in our ‘Time Poor & Dirt Cheap’ series, the Healthy Chef Teresa Cutter gives us her take on a healthy, quick and cheap chicken soup to boost your immune system.
- 10 cloves garlic, smashed (approx 1 whole bulb)
- tablespoon finely grated ginger
- tablespoon fresh grated turmeric (see notes)
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken or vegetable stock (home made)
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 500 g organic chicken breast, cut into chunks
(see notes on using chicken thighs)
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- Combine the garlic, turmeric, ginger, stock, water and chicken into a large pot.
- Simmer for 10 minutes over a low heat until chicken is cooked through and flavours have infused into the stock.
- Add tamari and coriander just before serving.
- Serve in large bowls and sip slowly. Enjoy.
Vegetarians can use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock and add more vegetables and some tofu or tempeh to boost protein.
Fresh turmeric is available from your local grocer. if using dry then only use 1/4 teaspoon but fresh is best for it’s anti-viral properties.
You can make this soup using chicken thighs or a whole organic chicken…but it will take 60 minutes to cook. Combine chicken thighs with 2 litres of water and aromatics in the ingredients….you will not need chicken stock for this version.
Want to see what we made last month? Check it out here!